ScotiaLife Accidental Death Insurance
Right for you if:
- You want to safeguard your family's future in the
event of an accident
- You want coverage you can count on
Accidental death was the 2nd leading cause of death in Canada from 2006 to 20081. In fact, someone passes away from an accident every hour of every day.2 If you're a Scotiabank customer 18-74 years of age and a Canadian resident, you and your spouse can each sign up for $5,000 of complimentary accidental death insurance – at no cost to you!
The Plan Offers:
- Tax-free benefits - Of up to $350,000 paid as a lump sum to your named beneficiary, should you pass away due to a covered accident
- A living benefit - Paid directly to you, should you be in a hospital for 365 consecutive days immediately following a covered accident
- Guaranteed acceptance - If you are a Scotiabank customer, reside in Canada, and are 18 to 74 years of age, your acceptance into the plan is guaranteed. Your spouse, if also residing in Canada and 18 to 74 years of age, is guaranteed acceptance as well - even if your spouse is not a Scotiabank customer.
- Affordable group rates - Guaranteed never to increase after you enrol. And spousal coverage at half-price. See our rate table
- No medical questions to enrol
- Convenient payment options - Pay your premiums monthly through your Scotiabank credit card, chequing or savings account.
- $5,000 of complimentary accidental death insurance - For both you and your spouse, up to 5 full years
- A 30-day review period - To ensure you're completely satisfied with your plan
The optional Critical Injury benefit is available when you enrol for at least $25,000 of Accidental Death Insurance. Optional Critical Injury provides a benefit for Loss of Limb(s), Paralysis of Limb(s), Loss of Sight, Loss of Hearing, or Loss of Speech due to an accident. Accidental Death and Critical Injury coverage is also available for your dependant children.
When you sign up for ScotiaLife Accidental Death Insurance, you get low group rates that are guaranteed never to increase. And your spouse gets a 50% discount.
What's not covered
To take the guesswork out of buying accidental death insurance, we've put together a list of what isn't covered. ScotiaLife Accidental Death Insurance does not cover death or hospital confinement due to:
- any naturally occurring condition, illness or disease or bodily or mental infirmity of any kind, or medical or surgical treatment for any such condition, illness, disease or infirmity
- bacteria, viruses, fungi, prions or any other pathogens;
- suicide, intentionally self-inflicted injury while sane or any self-inflicted injury while insane
- an accidental bodily injury sustained while under the influence of any drug, unless the drug was prescribed by a physician and taken as directed
- an accidental bodily injury sustained while the Insured’s blood alcohol concentration was in excess of eighty (80) milligrams of alcohol per one hundred (100) millilitres of blood;
- an accidental bodily injury sustained while under the influence of any poison or gas that was voluntarily taken, administered, absorbed or inhaled
- flying (except as a fare paying passenger on a recognized commercial airline on a regularly scheduled flight) or any other form of aerial activity;
- war (declared or undeclared), riot or civil commotion, insurrection or hostilities of any kind
- participation as a professional athlete in an athletic competition or demonstration
- commission of, or attempt to commit, or the provocation of any indictable criminal offense
Ready to apply
- 1 Statistics Canada, Canadian Coroner and Medical Examiner Database: Annual Report, February 2012.
- 2Statistics Canada, 2006
- ScotiaLife Accidental Death Insurance is underwritten by Scotia Life Insurance Company. ScotiaLife Accidental Death Insurance is subject to certain limitations, restrictions and exclusions. A description of the principal provisions of the coverage is provided in the Certificate of Insurance, which will be mailed to you after you've been approved for coverage. Coverage is subject to all the provisions contained in the applicable Group Policy. In the event of any conflict between any documents, including this website and the Certificate of Insurance, the Group Policy shall govern. ScotiaLife Accidental Death Insurance cannot be purchased in Scotiabank branches.
© 2017 ScotiaLife Financial All Rights Reserved.